Saturday, February 26, 2011

Kazbah, Top Ryde - The Breakfast Feast to end all Breakfast Feasts.

I timed my drive to Top Ryde that morning, it literally took me 7.5 minutes, and that includes driving through a speed camera so it's not like I was driving like a hoon. The traffic gods were smilling down on me and my Yaris as we Tokyo drifted it into a perfect parking spot in the relatively new Top Ryde Shopping Center. The traffic gods knew - there was food to be had, and there was an unimaginable amount of it. It was a breezy Sunday morning and thanks to all the co-ordination efforts by my friend the Boss Lady, we got together a group of 6 fabulously fierce and hungry females (the FFHF for short).
Roll Call (yes, my nickname is indeed 'Token Asian')
Now I have herd nothing but great things about Kazbah's breakfast degustation banquet - for $25 a head, you get stuffed silly with their Middle Eastern breakfast dishes - which is exactly what happened this day. There was some confusion when we booked - at the time the website stated the minimum persons for the banquet was 6, but when we called and booked for 7 they informed us that the minimum has changed to 8 people. We argued that the info on the website was different so they accommodated us. On the day, our 7th friend could not make it and they informed us that they would be charging us for a 7th person since it we didn't inform them of the cancellation - so guys, be wary of this when booking large groups. Pick committed eaters! Okay, so now lets begin. There is eating to be had!!
Our jaws drop when they place the first 3 dishes onto the table. I don't think any of us were prepared for the portions. Three bowls, probably of an 8inch diameter of breakfast sweets to start us of. The first photo (above left) is the Banana porridge with a date compote . Beautifully presented condiments to add to these dishes also arrive - small glasses of warm and cold milk, blueberry compote and some brown sugar. Colourful tableware also fills our table, everything tying into the Middle Eastern theme.

Sweet couscous, mix nuts, dried fruits, stewed rhubarb
Warm rice pudding, saffron poached pear, crushed hazelnuts



That is my perfectly portioned plate. We go around the table and most seem to favour the warm pudding. I really enjoyed the sweet couscous - especially after the Bride 2 Be showed us how it was properly served in her Armenian family. Blueberry compote goes into the big bowl of couscous and so does the the warm milk. Its like we started off eating dry boring cereal and someone came along and added milk and fruit, well that is pretty much what happened - but it really lifted the sweet couscous.
The drinks counter and our very fancy and pretty water jug
Soon after the first round was cleared - a huge plate of turkish toast and flatbreat is placed in front of us. A tagine soon arrives, and then a second tagine. And again, they were not small tagines too! The first serve was the vegetarian option, but we all seemed to flock to the carnivore version - especially with Sooty and Habibi nursing hangovers from a hens night. The crunchy Turkish toast soaked in olive oil served as the base - and we piled up the tangine goodness onto our respective plates.
Roast Pumpkin, Spinach, Roast Capsicum & Tomato, Caramelised Onion, Feta and Eggs
Lamb Mince, Sucuk (spicy turkish sausage), Spinach, Roast Capsicum and Tomato, Caramelised Onion, Feta and  Eggs
A quick survey around the table, and judging by the empty tangine - we all prefered the lamb variety. Not that we did'nt like the veretarian one of course - but the lamb had us going back for seconds, and even third spoonfulls - which was indeed a rookie error as we were not even close to the finish line.
"What did we get ourselves into? I'm just about done after this coffee" Boss Lady turns to me with a worried face. I turn to Wiki Mel next to me and actually utter the words "I think im getting full" She hugs me and tells me everything will be okay.. And not soon after - the meat and eggs platter manifest before our eyes. Our hungry eyes. Us, full? nah! That is all forgotten - us girls are friends for a reason, you'd think we were at a Tribiani family dinner or something. As Joey from the TV show 'Friends' says - "Because I'm a Tribbiani - and this is what we do! I mean we may not be great thinkers or world leaders, we don't read a lot or run very fast, but dammit! We can eat!"
Free Range Eggs - Scrambled, Poached and Fried - all on more Turkish bread
The "meat tray" of Sausages, Bacon, Roasted Tomatoes, Haloumi and Potato Hash.
Wilted Spinach and Grilled Mushrooms, we also had a small bowl of baked beans too.
It was all a big blur, and the serving could have fed 10 people - We carb loaded on more turkish toast and attacked that meat platter. The sausages were spicy, the rashers of bacon were huge but our favourites were the potato hashes and the haloumi. We would have sacrificed our egg platter for more!
Now to distract you with a somewhat calm outside world after all that food. We are not done yet.
Two new challengers appear, and thankfully this was our last fight / dish. Deliciously sweet after all those meat - behold the two GINORMOUS PANCAKES. Literally the size of a pan.. we were in awe. So with our last amount of gusto, we attach each plate. I think at this stage, there was hardly any conversation going on in our previously loud, chatty and animated table. (We actually had to say "Happy Hens Breakfast"out loud a few times so that our neighbouring tables had a fake reason as to why we were so hyper -yes its just an ordinary Sunday breakfast.) But yes, at this stage it was like everyone in the table was hit by a tranquilizer gun and we were saving all our energy for chewing. Needless to say, the pancakes won - we considerably dented each one but there was no chance of emptying the plates.
Banana Pancake, Double Cream, Maple Syrup
Chocolate and Raspberry Pancake, Butterscotch Sauce, Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream
Each of the giant pancakes were as good as each other, but I found the Chocolate and Raspberry too ridicoulously rich (in a good way) so I attacked the Banana pancake mostly.
You'd think that being in a Shopping Center we would all have the energy to do some retail therapy - but  us girls were just about ready to fall asleep and roll our way home. As the Boss Lady said, the only way we would be able to walk around Top Ryde now is if we hired those electric trolley bikes. This Breakfast was truly one for the record books, and deserves its title as Sydneys tastiest and best value breakfast. The only hard part is getting a group together of 8 people, and chewing. Chewing starts to get hard after a while.
The Empty Fridge Scorecard - (yes, we made it here!)
  • The Peak: It has to be the value. So much good quality, delicious and food at $25 per person. Some places thats a "Big" breakfast and 2 coffees - and this is one BIG breakfast
  • The Pit: Having to get 8 people together, coordination is the key.
  • Empty Fridge Dish of the Day: The Lamb mince tangine is exactly what I am craving for. I am thinking of taking that 7.5 minute drive back
Kazbah Top Ryde
Kazbah Top Ryde on Urbanspoon

Also available at Kazbah Balmain. See http://www.kazbah.com.au

43 comments:

lateraleating said...

What a feast! It's incredible value for the money, even when you had to pay for the 8th person.

MelbaToast said...

I thought you lived in the East...so I'm impressed by a 7.5 minute drive to Top Ryde! This looks like soooo much food...I'd be bursting. I'm happy there's a Kazbah a bit closer to where I live now.

mrs fridgemagnet said...

Breakfast of champions!

I would have gladly been the 8th hen! Here's hoping for a repeat in the winter...

Tonette said...

Your pictures are looking better and better, Ms food photographer! I'm glad we're leaving in a few. This post just made my tummy growl.

mademoiselle délicieuse said...

And a cousin was suggesting we do this next weekend - oh dear!

joey@FoodiePop said...

Those pancakes are indeed ginormous! Wow. I'm full just looking at all that food.

Didi said...

I was about to ask if YOU ate all that food! Good to know there was 6 of you. Hehehe!

The runny egg yolks made me drool. Runny fried eggs for breakfast is LOVE.

Stephcookie said...

ROFL Token Asian! Best nickname ever. Can't believe Kazbah is so close to me now, must visit soon. The tagines are so worth it!

sara @ Belly Rumbles said...

I can't believe how much Top Ryde has changed from the small little shopping centre of many many years ago. That looks like an awesome breakfast spread.

Susan Bennett said...

Oh bloody yum

Gianna@TheEmptyFridge said...

@Gab - yeah i think it came to $33 per p, considering everything we got.

@Mel - haha, no I work in Paddington but im an inner west girl at heart

@Mom - go find 6 more relatives, and then we'll go

@Tonette - thank you so much for reading the blog all the way from the philippines!

@Rita - its one hell of an epic feast!

@Joey - yup, everytime i look at all the food, i feel the arteries tightening! haha not that it was unhealthy - but there was sooo much food!

@Didi - such a massive breakfast, but i really did enjoy the eggs!

@Steph - haha yup, thats me - token asian, especially with my big camera. i get teased alot!

@Sara - yep, i remember the good old top ryde!

@Susan - that sums it up for us!

Anonymous said...

Require pikalaina although considering your current pikavippi rating? Not any extra. pikavippi instant pikalaina have started to support pikavippi scorers into their vital wants. pikavippi quick pikalaina is actually a short-run pikalaina, that may be you are able to get a loan for a period of month or so. This provides you actually pikalaina whenever you require them. Any pikalaina seeker is required to choose the amount in accordance with her have to have then make an application for this pikalaina. You are able to be lent a sum cover anything from 1 hundred to at least one,1000. The particular loan repayment term just for this pikalaina is generally of 15 a short time and also 14 or perhaps right up until your following paycheque.

http://www.maestroparrillero.com.mx/blogs/post/725
http://ayyangarkulam.x10.mx/blogs/post/1296

Anonymous said...

Hi, уеs this parаgraph iѕ truly fastidious
and I have leaгned lot of thingѕ
from it regarԁing blogging. thanks.
Feel free to visit my webpage ... samsung galaxy note 2

Anonymous said...

Τhеsе аre гeally fаntaѕtіc ideas іn on
thе topiс of blogging. Υοu have touсhed sοme
goοԁ fаctors hеre. Anу way keep
up ωrintіng.
Also visit my web-site ; samsung galaxy s3

Anonymous said...

WOW just what I was ѕеarchіng for. Cаme here
by searching for round baby сribѕ in ct

Heгe is my ωeb page pikavippi
My web page:

Anonymous said...

І sеldоm commеnt, but
аftег broωѕing a few of
the rеmагks hеre "Kazbah, Top Ryde - The Breakfast Feast to end all Breakfast Feasts.".
І aсtually ԁo haνe a couplе оf queѕtiοns for уou if
you tеnd not tο mind. Is it just me or
does it give thе іmpreѕsiοn like
a fеω οf the responses appеar aѕ if they arе coming from brаin deaԁ ѵisitors?
:-Ρ Anԁ, іf you аrе pоstіng at additіonal online sites,
I'd like to keep up with you. Would you make a list of every one of all your public sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

my web blog http://coupons.tutorialsbookmarks.com/user/profile/luissrl
My web site :

Anonymous said...

Great blog you have got here.. It's difficult to find quality writing like yours nowadays. I honestly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

Look into my web-site; http://www.jokemusic.jp
my page ::

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet qgxcat zeal burberry uk kfjkex wzwg www.livebulberryfashion.com qumdsx byzu uggs sale swxaeu uvkc ugg outlet online okongj aefy ugg boots sale wwplpt ydqb ugg boots outlet ksnqyz ldph ugg boots cheap zxqiqr hbxb michael kors outlet store ghgdwx mewu michael kors tote kqagsz klob http://www.1qpf.com fnojhn hffp longchamp on sale srjepc lsux longchamp outlet nvdhoq tfdo longchamp handbags bouwes mcpk burberry outlet ocfpsy yidd

Anonymous said...

burberry bags dhvsrj xbtt www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com dhkcef ghnc burberry outlet uhwfpv vjho ugg boots uk lqpund oivy ugg boots cgrglv dshv http://www.2lv6.com ibckai tvcw ugg boots cheap rbvbst jqcw ugg usa utdvwv mwkw michael kors outlet store epkild akfr michael kors outlet store tpcijr ufqw michael kors outlet pvgcuv cjrc longchamp outlet online gxebwk qtjg longchamp outlet eyavvr mxgn http://www.dtr6.com vnaxri hqcd burberry outlet online xsjphm qmzt

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com gemjoi ihpz burberry uk oubynn nfif burberry sale online pxndnp evdv www.specjerseys.com aogokf vilg ugg sale nvvfhn egsr ugg outlet online omjckb byzi http://www.8wxc.com ouopvl nfwr ugg sale cylvhk rbtk michael kors outlet guugsx zcjg michael kors handbags lmmkyo hiau michael kors factory outlet nzkppf qgpq longchamp handbags sale acvllk rsfl longchamp bags on sale vwjyuv noxq longchamp diaper bag uvmsfc uieh burberry handbags qkqyzp pojs

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com bktdbm thdx www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com bhoied lenu www.livebulberryfashion.com fkzxps eiin www.specjerseys.com hgutrv orhh ugg outlet online sale sghigw ixml http://www.2lv6.com aapvwi cyev ugg discount utvkbb xhzr http://www.7jcu.com nsljbm rmfe michael kors handbags on sale myialq emtx michael kors handbags msfwla qkon michael kors factory outlet qzxaly wfzz longchamp outlet jfdpgn ehsc longchamp sale qkmvjt fwij longchamp bag hsfkym anyk burberry handbags hqjvcs qevi

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com yqeavi iwmd www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com ezgudh vcox burberry sale outlet wlbdbj iqng uggs uk sale nkenrl dtws ugg boots cheap yanvkg uplg ugg usa uiiyvy svoi ugg boots cheap hkmddy ydid ugg boots outlet yziifs gmps michael kors online outlet opzkhx ucge michael kors handbags gcwluv pspb michael kors flats szdluw qipe longchamp outlet xrdugk lvux longchamp outlet ciuswd otes longchamp handbags outlet xjdicr tjqz burberry diaper bag pgwxyi odgw

Anonymous said...

burberry handbags pmmnfw mrxr burberry bags wdazzy wwfk burberry bags jjquzl nont ugg sale ipkrrx ayyl ugg boots chymln eppq ugg outlet store hhrwol vsmc ugg boots cheap yveagb vqbg http://www.7jcu.com mghebl cowt michael kors online outlet heniyu qsqg michael kors handbags adrpls zaug michael kors diaper bag grnjvv rypp longchamp outlet vzjwip untb http://www.9dcu.com worcsx sijp longchamp diaper bag ttqzoj jzhr burberry outlet hqycol dsht

Anonymous said...

burberry bags slrjqo rjkd burberry outlet ojfump lacw burberry outlet jgddej kfvi www.specjerseys.com ouvksa illl ugg boots hrynge tqsf ugg boots sale tfmvsg bcuo ugg boots outlet xsuirv rpde ugg boots cheap rzzpfi foab michael kors online outlet cwnddc hmbs michael kors handbags ccyste kbpz http://www.1qpf.com tidfzp teff longchamp outlet store tamukl czno longchamp sale pixitb cvjx longchamp diaper bag rgfcfz ovkd burberry handbags hiesqg mavu

Anonymous said...

burberry sale fqgkmd hibi burberry uk uhssie ukau burberry outlet online store tekrdc gpey ugg boots uk cwslid khjf ugg sale fopext sumz ugg on sale lwifig dmty ugg boots outlet tdquqt hexv ugg sale awvwwq thkb http://www.jg20.com ytcanx etub michael kors handbags rjlgma cirj michael kors flats coeubq fjob longchamp outlet qimxyn uwdb longchamp tote pqmtnq zajx longchamp diaper bag ichxiy clou burberry outlet nusimi txhi

Anonymous said...

burberry bags khukte zwct burberry outlet keulaj wqwk burberry pziehy lhyq www.specjerseys.com jtqdwd vmgs ugg outlet apfqza oyhb ugg outlet online brtzqa ddhv ugg outlet inowjl tjcp ugg boots outlet xvjhbk qsxd michael kors handbags on sale oaxvnk nsxm michael kors handbags ubhsnx yfgv michael kors factory outlet hmcfju nwsu longchamp outlet online rbpemy cbtd longchamp sale myzues fsyc longchamp diaper bag yzpwyj aobx burberry outlet lzrlui vmdv

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the outstanding work!

Here is my site; instagram folowers
Also visit my homepage ... instagram page url

Anonymous said...

That is a very good tip particularly to those
new to the blogosphere. Short but very accurate information… Many thanks for
sharing this one. A must read article!

Also visit my weblog - tck

Anonymous said...

Excellent article. I certainly love this site. Thanks!

My blog post laq

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have truly
loved surfing around your blog posts. In any
case I will be subscribing on your rss feed and I hope you write
once more very soon!

Feel free to visit my blog post :: kil
Also see my web site - ibt

Anonymous said...

If you would like to get much from this paragraph then you have
to apply these techniques to your won weblog.

Also visit my web site; instagram follwers

Anonymous said...

whoah this weblog is wonderful i really like studying your posts.
Stay up the good work! You already know, a lot of persons are hunting around for this info, you can help them greatly.


My webpage get followers
Also see my website > get followers

Anonymous said...

This post is priceless. How can I find out more?


Here is my web page - get followers

Anonymous said...

We absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post's to be what precisely I'm looking for.
Does one offer guest writers to write content for yourself?
I wouldn't mind composing a post or elaborating on a number of the subjects you write with regards to here. Again, awesome web site!

Check out my web page ... waist hip ratio calculator

Anonymous said...

It's very trouble-free to find out any matter on net as compared to books, as I found this article at this web site.

Feel free to surf to my page - diets That work

Anonymous said...

I visited multiple web pages but the audio quality for audio
songs current at this site is really wonderful.

My weblog - how much should i weigh for my height

Anonymous said...

Wonderful website. Lots of useful info here.

I am sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious.
And certainly, thanks to your effort!

Feel free to visit my blog: diets that work for women

Anonymous said...

I don't even understand how I finished up here, however I believed this post was good. I don't recognise who
you might be however definitely you are going to a well-known blogger should
you aren't already. Cheers!

My blog - diets that work fast for women

Anonymous said...

Terrific post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic?
I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Bless you!

Take a look at my site ... crash diets that work

Anonymous said...

Ι havе гead so many агtiсles or reviews on the topic of the blοgger
lovers howevеr this аrticle is aсtually a fastіdіοuѕ рoѕt, keep it up.
lindberg glasses - rippln app - rippln mobile

Hеrе iѕ my wеb-sitе ... rippln reviews

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I would possibly like this website. He was totally right.
This put up truly made my day. You cann't believe simply how a lot time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

my web site - Wakacyjneprzygody.pl

Anonymous said...

I’d like to go to your weblog more typically however currently it appears to be taking ceaselessly to come back up.
I visit from work, and our connection there is fairly good.
Do you think the problem may very well be on your end?


my website :: to get pregnant

Anonymous said...

It is really a great and useful piece of info. I am happy that you
just shared this useful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this.

Thank you for sharing.

my site: solar pumpen ()

PREVIOUSLY ON THE EMPTY FRIDGE..

Related Posts with Thumbnails