Monday, October 11, 2010

Crave Sydney International Food Festival - Day One

Where did this year go?! I can't believe its already October, despite the weather still not being at all perfect - it's springtime! October is a pretty awesome month simply because it's dedicated to food.
Pinch and a punch for the first day of the month! Demos and I were up bright and early for the Pyrmont Grower's Market. This is my second visit and with Demos in tow we were on a mission to find some yummy brekky. The crowds were out in full force before 10am as this was one of the Crave events that kickstarted the long weekend.
Our plan was to walk around and buy some yummy goodies until we were able to have the Brunch offered at the nearby Signorelli Gastronomia. However, the smell of bacon and eggs were just too much of  a temptation. Demos and I wait in line for our Free Range Bacon and Egg Roll - among many others who had the same craving. As we pay for our roll and get our plate they yell out "Last Bacon and Egg Roll, sorry everyone!" We felt the glare from the crown as we sheepishly walk away with the last roll.
Hee Hee. They missed out, this roll was delicious!
Thats me Googling other SIFF events and planning the long weekend (Meanwhile, a copy of the Festival Events were inserted with the weekend paper..) and Demos wasn't sharing the roll.  
Despite the overcast weather, everyone seemed to be enjoying their morning. We browsed a few stands but to be honest the crowds got the better of us. The Grower's Market is on the first Saturday of everyone and its worth the trip. On my last visit we were able to buy some deliciously juicy Kurbota pork, tender angus beef steaks and sweet sweet mangoes and strawberry punnets direct from the producers. My favourite stall is the Fromaggi Ocello stand of course, and I also got my Aoli Mayonaise fix from Pukara Estate. Some stands have EFTPOS, and to make early start easier - don't go past the Toby's Coffee stall.

We then headed to Signorelli Gastronomia to try their "Lets do Brunch" menu, again part of Food-tober. If truffle scrambled eggs, bloody mary's and proscuitto sound appealing to you then stay tuned for the next post!


Later in the afternoon after a quick siesta to recover from the food coma, I headed to Paddington to take part of the food photography and food styling workshop at the Australian Centere of Photography. This afternoon session was also organised to co-incide with the Crave Sydney Food Festival. 
I wanted to take Demos with me but I bought the last ticket available! Luckily, I was seated to the very friendly and lovely Maria from Scandi Foodie so I wasn't lonely for long. The instructors set up 3 different dishes so in between each setting, Maria got to tell me about the awesome Rene Redzepi event at the Opera House and how he Rene himself has read her blog! How very exciting!
Love Supreme, one of my favourite pizza spots, provided the "models" for the afternoon. They shot two different kinds of pizzas, a rhubarb crumble dessert and this crustini selection above. It was very informative but as a very basic beginner it was difficult for me to picture setting up lights and perspex backgrounds when I take photo's. The smell of all the dishes made me very hungry but I enjoyed watching the lecturers "dress up" the dishes using different props, and really appreciated how everything was meticulously set up to capture the dish at its best angle. $20 well spent! 
So thats day one of our Crave Sydney International Food Festival. Its shaping up to be a food filled month and I cant wait to share it with you! We plan to try as many Brunches and Sugar Fixes as humanly possible. We also attended the Sydney Food Bloggers Picnic it was the best day and Demos and I are looking forward to sharing our photos and my posh lamb pie and blue sangria recipies!


Here's to a wonderful October everyone! Do you have any "must-do's" on the SIFF agenda? Its going to be a fun month for foodies!

**SIDE NOTE** Read this post HERE by Anna @ Morsels and Musings - its an awesome rundown on what Sydney food bloggers have been upto in week one - it will help in deciding what to do / eat!







Australian Center for Photography
257 Oxford Street Paddington NSW 2021
http://www.acp.org.au/
Sydney Morning Herald Growers’ Market
Pyrmont Bay Park Pyrmont 2009 on at the 1st Saturday of every month 7-11am

5 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

nice to finally meet ya dude! and mmm the free range bacon and egg roll is the best!

Fridgemagnet said...

A few months ago, the SMH Growers Market featured Australian truffles. You would have enjoyed that or maybe we should go to the Blue Mountains truffle festival next year.

I will keep coming to this monthly event...if only for Toby's Estate Coffee!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Sounds like you're having loads of fun during SIFF! Aww what a shame he wasn't sharing the roll Gianna! :(

Gianna@TheEmptyFridge said...

@Suze - so awesome to meet you also!! yaaay, we are not robots, we are humans!!

@Fridgemagnet - you had me at truffles. after that my vision went blury and I started drooling!

@Lorraine - so much food so little time :) We are so lucky to be in a city that dedicates a whole month to food and all things food related!

Anonymous said...

Link exchange is nothing else except it is only placing the other person's weblog link on your page at suitable place and other person will also do similar in favor of you.

Also visit my website how much should i weigh chart

PREVIOUSLY ON THE EMPTY FRIDGE..

Related Posts with Thumbnails